Note: This FAQ file has not been updated since
Fall 2007, so some of it is out date.
Some of it is still current, but it is not being kept up to date
so do not rely on what you find here to be authoritative.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question that is not addressed here
but you think it should be, or if you would like to contribute an item,
or suggest a change to an answer that is given, please contact
B. Harbourne at
- I need some advice concerning the math department.
Whom should I talk to?
- Classes Offered:
- What math courses
are being offered next semester, who's teaching them, and when will they be offered?
- Degree Requirements:
- Math Resource Center:
- I'm having trouble in a 100 level math course. Is there
some place I can go for help?
- Placement Exam:
- Testing Lab:
- I'm supposed to take a math test in the lab.
- Administrative support:
- An issue has come up.
Whom should I talk to?
(Click here for the list of which
office staff handle which duties.)
- Lori Mueller: room scheduling, Math Day, etc firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jamie Radcliffe, Vice Chair: TA assigments, teaching assignments, etc
- David Pitts, Graduate Committee Chair: graduate faculty issues
- Sylvia Wiegand, Colloquium Chair: scheduling colloquia
- Marilyn Johnson: grant proposal submission
- Liz Youroukos: travel and visitor arrangements, seminar announcements
- Computer Problems: specific problems
policy issues Tom Shores.
- John Meakin, Department Chair: the buck stops here
- Archive of email from Departmental computer administrator:
- Classrooms: I need help with the technology in a classroom.
- Computer Security:
- I'm worried about the security of my computer.
Where can I learn more about possible problems?
Is there a web site that can check my system for
- Is there an on-campus source for information?
(Visit Information Services newsletter.)
- Departmental Committee List:
- Email Aliases:
- I'm a member of the Math Department. I want to
use an email alias but I can't remember
what aliases we have.
- I need to send a message to one of the groups we have an alias for, but I'm not a member of that group. How can I get permission to use an alias for a group I'm not a member of? I just want to
send to the group, not receive posts.
- Email Options:
- What options are available for doing email?
- Is there an on-line Departmental floorplan?
- Grant Proposals:
- External Proposals
- What is needed in the
when I submit a proposal?
- I need budget information; for example,
what are the current NSF
- Does UNL's Office of Research
(formerly known as the Office of Sponsored Programs) have
How about an FAQ?
- Where can I find UNL internal proposal submission forms?
- I need to write a final report for an NSF grant;
what information needs to be addressed in a final report?
- What information is there about uploading files to FastLane?
- FastLane help page
- FastLane FAQ page
- FastLane pdf creation instructions page
- FastLane TeX support page
- My NSF proposal is one big TeX file, but
I need to create dvi files for certain page ranges
for uploading to various categories in FastLane.
Is there an easy way to do this?
- My NSF proposal is done in TeX, but it includes
some graphs in separate files, and I'm having trouble getting FastLane's
procedure for uploading such separate files to work.
Is there a way
to include the graphs as part of the dvi file,
so I need only upload a single dvi file?
- Internal Proposals
- Laptops, projectors, student accounts:
- I know that to request a laptop for the coming semester,
I need to make my request at least two weeks
before classes start in order to have my request filled by the first day of class,
but to whom do I make the request?
- Logon and Web Access Problems:
- Sometimes I can't seem to reach math.unl.edu from offsite, even
though I can reach other sites on campus.
What can I do? [Try different individual machines, such
as the servers www.math.unl.edu, math.unl.edu or individual
office machines (for example, math-008.unl.edu, etc.) or try
going through another on-campus site. For example, for terminal access,
use ssh to log on to unlserve.unl.edu (assuming you have an account),
and then ssh from there to math.unl.edu.]
- I can access some web sites from campus but not from off campus. How
can I access these (from home, say)? [You'll need a UNL ID to do this off campus.
For example, to access MathSciNet, go through the UNL Libraries link to
MathSciNet web site. If you are presently
on campus but would like to see what will happen when you try
this off campus, click
here . The old proxy server
which required configuring your browser is now obsolete.
To access JStor, likewise you can go through the
- Password Protect a web page:
- Preprints, Reprints, Books, and Quotes:
- What sites are there for full text math articles?
- Is there a site giving math related quotations ?
- TeX Stuff:
- How do you create a dvi file for
a specified page range? (This can be useful when you want to upload dvi files
for given parts of a proposal to FastLane.)
- What about including graphs in a TeX document?
- Are there macros for doing exams?
(plainTeX macro) (LaTeX: Ned's macros, Phil's macros)
- I have to fill out a form, but I only have
a pdf file for it. How can I fill it out?
- I have a visitor coming. Is it possible for my visitor
to obtain wireless access on campus?
- I have a visitor coming. Are there web sites for where he/she can stay? How
can he/she get back and forth from Omaha?
- What are the current
mileage reimbursement rates?
- What are current local weather
conditions like? Are there web cams that show me current conditions in Lincoln?
- I need to request travel funds from the Department.
What form do I need? Here are three versions of the form:
- I need to request travel funds from the Dean.
What form do I need?
- I need to turn in my expenses for reimbursement.
What form do I need? Here are two versions of the form:
- I am hosting a visitor who needs reimbursement forms. How do I get them?
- UNIX Commands and packages:
- What commands and packages are available on our Linux system?
- Web Forms: