Here are some quotes from the evaluation forms from previous conferences.
Overall, was the conference a positive experience for you?
- ``The conference was the most positive undergraduate experience
I have had so far. It was encouraging and enlightening to meet so
many other female undergraduates and grad students in this
comfortable, interesting atmosphere.''
- ``Yes! I haven't actually had the chance to do research yet, and
it was really exciting to see other people talking about what they've
done.'' (Note: This same student responded to the question, ``Did
the conference increase, decrease or not change your interest in
continuing your study of mathematics or statistics in graduate
school?'' with ``It increased it; I really want to do
- ``Yes! It was great to be in a positive, supportive
atmosphere.'' (To the second question mentioned above, this student
wrote, ``Increased, definitely. It reminded me that there are
lots of cool areas of math out there to go into.'')
- ``Extremely -- it was nice not to be one of very few female
math majors for once!''
- ``Yes. This is the first `women's' conference that I have
attended, and the experience was more beneficial than I expected.''
- ``I enjoyed getting to hear about research that other
undergrads are doing in a very supportive setting.''
- ``Yes -- It was really neat to participate in an event with so
much enthusiasm, and to be surrounded by other female math majors and
- ``It was a very positive experience for me. I was able to hear
other people talk about their mathematical backgrounds and
experiences, and I met many new people.''
- ``Yes, it was a GREAT experience for me. Even though I did not
give a presentation, the conference was very informative.''
- ``Yes! This is one of the best experiences of my undergraduate
career ...I am definitely more interested in going to graduate school.''
- ``Meeting all these other women who are passionate about mathematics was
- ``I enjoyed the talks by students immensely. The banquet speaker was
also great -- I thought the focus on history and women in math was an
excellent, inspiring subject. ... I liked the plenary talks -- I would have
enjoyed a third session."
- ``I have a lot of grad school anxiety, so it was good to hear what others
were going through -- and that I wasn't alone."
- ``I thoroughly enjoyed this weekend. I found it to be very encouraging
to see and talk to other women who are serious about mathematics. It was
also nice obtaining so much info about grad school, both from panel
discussions and from other participants."
List what you consider to be the important benefits of the conference.
- the opportunity to give a presentation in a supportive,
virtually all-woman environment
- networking with other women having the same goals and interests
- the encouragement to continue in mathematics
- the opportunity to learn about research in other disciplines of
- the exposure to the research of prominent female researchers
currently in the field
- gaining information about graduate school
- gaining information on REU's and other opportunities
- gaining information on mathematical organizations and
- the opportunity to attend talks in a comfortable atmosphere
- the opportunity to feel appreciated as a woman who loves math
- ``reaffirmation that it is acceptable by society and by peers to
be a math major''
Some additional quotes:
- ``I wish I'd known about this program two years ago -- I needed the
confidence even more back then. Please know I will spread the word about
this program to all I know. I NEVER expected to get this much out of just
a 3 day event. This has been so wonderful! I am so glad that you all take
the time and effort to put on this conference."
- ``I would simply like to thank all who organized the
conference -- it has
been a truly incredible experience .... I feel much more encouraged, and I
think I have learned a great deal of mathematics."
- ``Keep doing this! It has been a pivotal piece to my undergraduate math
career and a great forum to learn about other opportunities out there and
meet my future female peers in mathematics."
- ``It is so encouraging to meet/have
reunions with so many of the women math majors in the U.S. It
makes me excited to go back to school and do math. I don't feel
like a `math nerd'. I feel like I'm working really hard so I can
learn a lot and share/learn math with all my friends.''
- ``It gives females a sense of belonging to a wider
community -- I always feel like I am representing my gender, so
meeting other people (female) who were as interested as I was in
math was really beneficial. Also it gives confidence to students
who have never talked before and that gives them a more positive
attitude for the future. And it was beneficial towards going to
graduate school. I no longer count myself as being unusual in
being good at and enjoying mathematics. That is really
- ``(It) made undergraduate research a
real option -- I will do an REU.''