Allan Peterson is a co-author of this textbook on difference equations. This book uses elementary analysis and linear algebra to investigate solutions of difference equations. Numerous applications to difference equations are given. The first four chapters cover the standard material that should be taught in a one semester course on difference equations. Chapters 5-10 cover material that naturally would lead one into research topics in discrete analysis. For more information see Allan Peterson's webpage.
The department currently has job openings available.
To schedule a colloquium, click here.
- Jul 7-11, 2014: Sara Reynolds won the "Best Poster Award" for her poster at the AWM workshop at the SIAM meeting in July 2014.
- Apr 15-16, 2014: Jeremy Trageser's "Finite Time Blowup in Nonlinear Suspension Bridge Models" was a Graduate Poster Session Award Winner at the Spring 2014 Research fair.
- Apr 6, 2014: Congratulations to Judy Walker receiving the University of Nebraska's Outstanding Teaching and Instructional Creativity Award. The OTICA recognizes faculty who have demonstrated meritorious and sustained records of excellence and creativity in teaching.
- Apr 1, 2014: Tony DeRose, Research Group Lead at Pixar Animation Studios, will deliver the 2014 Howard Rowlee Lecture at 4:30pm on Tuesday, April 1, 2014, in Nebraska Union Auditorium (UNL City Campus).
- Mar 11, 2014 Congratulations to Mark Brittenham and Petronela Radu for receiving College of Arts and Sciences Distinguished Teaching Awards. College Distinguished Teaching Awards are $1,000 awards in recognition of consistent excellence in teaching.
- Mar 4, 2014: Congratulations to Mark Walker, who received a Willa Cather professorship. The Willa Cather/Charles Bessey professorship honors a full professor with an exceptional record of distinguished scholarship or creative activity.
- Mar 3, 2014: Congratulations to Petronela Radu for receiving the College of Arts and Sciences Hazel R. McClymont award. The McClymont Award, which is chosen by the faculty instructional development committee, honors exemplary teaching and carries a $6,000 stipend.
- Jan 31-Feb 2 2014: Nebraska Conference for Undergraduate Women in Mathematics
- Dec 5-6 2013: Math in the City workshop
- Nov 21, 2013: A record 1728 register for Math Day 2013.
- Nov 14, 2013: The Mathematics department hosts a public lecture by Mike Hopkins "Mathematical invariants: how to know the answer in advance". See the Omaha World-Herald article.
- Nov 5, 2013: Congratulations to UNL mathematicians John Meakin and Srikanth Iyengar who have been named fellows of the American Mathematical Society. They join an esteemed group of mathematicians from across the world, including five fellows from UNL inducted in 2012.
- Nov 4, 2013: Congratulations to Yvonne Lai, selected for the 2013-14 Research Development Fellows Program, an initiative to help pre-tenure faculty successfully compete for grants.
- Oct 25, 2013: Peterson Conference: A celebration of the many accomplishments of Professor Allan Peterson.
- Departmental News Archives...