The new Nebraska Math Scholars program has scholarships for UNL students majoring in Math:
- Up to $10,000 per year, determined by financial need
- Renewable for up to 3 years of support
- Double majors welcome
Activities and additional mentoring for Nebraska Math Scholars:
- The Math Scholars will meet with the graduate mentors on a regular basis, usually with pizza.
- Every month we expect to have one or two Math Club activities, which include lectures intended for undergraduate math majors, and presentations and panel discussions about research and career opportunities in mathematics. You will be expected to attend most of these.
- You will have a faculty mentor in addition to your major advisor.
- If you choose to do undergraduate research (which is not required), we will pay for your trip to a conference to present this research.
For continued support:
- You must maintain a 2.7 GPA in your first year of college, and a 3.0 GPA in subsequent years.
- You must continue with a major in Mathematics, Science or Engineering.
- You should continue to fill out FAFSA forms every year, to confirm that there is continued financial need.
- After 3 years of support, you can apply for jobs in the Department of Mathematics such as Math Counselor, grader, and/or Undergraduate teaching assistantship, and there might be additional scholarship support.
If you are interested in this scholarship, be sure to indicate on your UNL application form that you intend to be a mathematics major, and be sure to fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible.
If you have any questions contact Tom Marley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Returning UNL Students
If you are a current UNL student, please apply online by clicking the button below. The application form is open until May 15, 2013, but it is advisable to get it done as soon as possible, and please be sure to fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible.