- Select the apportionment method to use by clicking the tabs at the top of the
- Enter the house size in the text field at the top right.
- Click in the cells in the population column of the table and enter or edit
the population value in the "State/Pop" field. You can
use the arrow keys to move from cell to cell.
- Optionally you can add the names of the states you are considering to the right-hand
column by clicking in a cell to select it and entering the name in the "State/Pop" field.
- If you want to add or delete a row from the table, click in a row and press the plus or
minus buttons. The plus button will add a new row below the selected one, and the minus
button will delete the selected row.
- The table recalculates itself each time you press "Enter" in a cell, or move to
a new cell.
- Hamilton and Lowndes Methods:
You need to provide a house size and populations for one or more states, and
the calculator will show a table of the allocation of representatives to the states,
together with the intermediate steps of the caluatation.
- Divisor methods: (i.e. Jefferson, Webster, and Hill-Huntington)
You should start by providing a house size and populations for one or more states. Then enter various
values for the divisor (in the field at the top right). For each divisor you enter, the table will
recalculate the values of the allocation (remember to press Enter after you type the divisor). Increase or
decrease your divisor until you reach a total allocation (shown in the bottom right corner of the table)
equal to your chosen house size.