Publications by David R. Pitts
The list below contains my publications. Preprints are in
PDF format from Adobe. (To view the
files in PDF format, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your
computer; it can be downloaded free of charge from the Adobe
Acrobat Reader Web site.)
- Factorization Problems for Nests: Factorization
Methods and Characterizations of the Universal Factorization
Property, Journal of Functional Analysis, (79) (1988), 57--90.
- On the $K_0$ Groups of Nest Algebras, K-Theory, (2)
Portico Access. Note: `K-Theory' seems to have been
discontinued: see the discussion in Nature 448, 846-847 (23 August
Eureka page for further details on the journal `K-Theory'.
- Compactness and Complete Distributivity for Commutative
Subspace Lattices (with K. R. Davidson), Journal of the London
Mathematical Society (2), Vol. 42 (1990), 147--159.
- Idempotents in Nest Algebras (with D. R. Larson), Journal
of Functional Analysis, 97 (1991), 162--193.
- Some Questions Concerning Nest Algebras (with D. R. Larson),
in ``Selfadjoint and Nonselfadjoint Operator Algebras and Operator
Theory,'' (Robert S. Doran, Ed.), Contemporary Mathematics,
Vol. 120, (1991), 89--96.
- A Note on the Connectedness Problem for Nest Algebras,
Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, 114(1) (1992),
- Perturbations of Certain Reflexive Algebras,
Pacific Journal of Mathematics, 165(1) (1994), 161--180.
- Close CSL Algebras are Similiar, Mathematiche Annalen,
300 (1994), 149--156.
- Approximate Unitary Equivalence of Completely Distributive
Commutative Subspace Lattices (with K. R. Davidson),
Integral Equations and Operator Theory, Vol. 22(5) (1995),
- Connectedness of the Invertibles in Certain Nest Algebras
(with K. R. Davidson and J. L. Orr), Canadian Mathematical
Bulletin, 38(4) (1995), 412--420.
- Factorization of triangular operators and ideals through the
diagonal (with J. Orr), Proceedings of the Edinburgh Mathematical
Society. 40 (1997), 227--241.
- Invariant Subspaces and Hyper-reflexivity for Free Semigroup
Algebras (with K. R. Davidson), Proc. London Math. Soc., 78(2)
- The Algebraic Structure of Non-commutative Analytic Toeplitz
Algebras (with K. R. Davidson), Mathematiche Annalen,
311(2) (1998), 275--303.
- Nevanlinna--Pick Interpolation for Non-commutative Analytic Toeplitz
Algebras (with K. R. Davidson), Integral Equations and Operator
Theory, Vol. 31(5) (1998), 321--337.
- The Structure of Free Semigroup Algebras, (with K. R. Davidson and
E. G. Katsoulis), Journal fur die reine und angewandte
Mathematik (Crelle's Journal), Vol. 533, (2001), 99--125.
- Automatic Closure of Invariant Linear Manifolds for
Operator Algebras, (with A. Donsig
and A. Hopenwasser), Illinois Math. J., Vol
45(3), (2001), 787--802.
- Algebraic Isomorphisms and
Spectra of Triangular Limit Algebras, with Allan
Donsig and Stephen Power, Indiana University
Math. J., Vol. 50, (2001), 1131--1147.
- Global Existence and Non-existence Theorems for
Nonlinear Wave Equations, (with M. Rammaha), Indiana University
Math. J., vol. 51, (2002), 1479--1509.
- Absolutely Continuous Representations and a Kaplansky
Density Theorem for Free Semigroup Algebras, (with K. Davidson and
J. Li) Journal of Functional Analysis, Volume 224, Issue
1, 1 July 2005, Pages 160-191.
- Coordinate Systems and Bounded Isomorphisms, (with
A. Donsig), Journal of Operator Theory,
- Norming Algebras and Automatic Complete Boundedness of
Isomorphisms of Operator Algebras, Proc. American Math. Soc,
Volume 136, number 5, May
2008, pages 1757--1768.
- Structure of Regular Inclusions
This paper has had
Structure for Regular Inclusions. I; Journal of Operator
Theory, Vol. 78(2), (2017), 357-416,
This 2016 document is a rewritten version of many of the
results in the 2012 preprint (see the next item in this list), but also contains a number of new
results on minimal norms. Proofs are streamlined, and the role of
Frolik's theorem is emphasized. Section 7 and Section 8 from the
2012 preprint have been removed. These sections will appear elsewhere.
- Original 2012 Preprint entitled
``Structure of Regular Inclusions'',
(62 pages) and the same
2012 Preprint on arXiv
- Bimodules over Cartan MASAs in von Neumann Algebras,
Norming Algebras, and Mercer's Theorem, (with J. Cameron and
V. Zarikian), New York
Journal of Mathematics, 19, (2013), 455-486.
- Isomorphisms of Lattices of Bures-Closed Bimodules over
Cartan MASAs, (with A. Fuller), New York Journal of Mathematics,
19, (2013), 657-668.
- Von Neumann Algebras and Extensions of Inverse Semigroups
(with A. Donsig and A. Fuller), Proceedings of the Edinburgh
Mathematical Society, Vol. 60(1), (2016), 57-97
- Unique Pseudo-Expectations for C*-Inclusions,
(with V. Zarikian), Illinois Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 59(2),
Summer 2015, 449-483.
- Cartan Triples
(with A. Donsig and A. Fuller)