Other Activities Professional Service
of Special Session on Algebraic Coding Theory and Applications for the
AMS Sectional meeting at Ohio State University in March 2018. (with Heide Gluessing-Luerssen and Steve Szabo.)
Special Session on Algebraic Coding Theory at the AMS Joint Math
Meetings at Altant, GA in January 2017. (with Gretchen Matthews and
local organizing committee for MOSAIC Conference, a conference on the
Mathematics of Science, Art, Industry, and Culture, sponsored and
funded by MSRI and administered by the Bridges Foundation. MoSAIC will
be held November 14-15, 2015 at UNL.
- Organizer of
Special Session on Algebraic Coding Theory at the AMS Sectional Meeting at UNL in October 2011. (with Judy Walker.)
- Working in industry/government. Organized by Susan Hermiller for the graduate students professional development seminar.
- Undergraduate Research: from funding to publishing. JMM 2015, Organized by Project NExT Fellows, San Antonio, TX.
- Starting outreach programs. JMM 2015, Organized by Project NExT Fellows, San Antonio, TX.
- On teaching
teachers. Organized by Michelle Homp for the Nebraska Math and Service
Summer Institute (NMSSI) Workshop, April 2013.
- On teaching. Organized by Mark Walker for the math graduate teaching seminar at UNL, November 2010.
- Choosing and applying to graduate school. Organized by UNL Math Club and Women in Math Network, October 2010.
- How to Survive graduate school. Organized by UNL math graduate students for the incoming graduate students, August 2009.
- Being a new faculty member. Organized by Sylvia Wiegand for the math graduate students at UNL, April 2009.
- Associate Editor for the International Journal of Information and Coding Theory (IJICoT), Interscience, U.K, November 2012 to March 2013.
- On review panel for NSA Grant, 2012.
- Organizer of a special session on coding theory (with Judy Walker) at the AMS Sectional Meeting at UNL in October 2011.
- Judge for the Ohio State University Young Mathematicians Conference, 2011.
- Referee for:
- IEEE Transactions on Information Theory
- IEEE Transactions on Communications
- IEEE Communications Letters
- Journal of Applied Algebra
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security
- Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, special issue on capacity-approaching codes
- International J. on Information and Coding Theory, special issue in honour of Vera Pless
- Central European Journal of Mathematics
- Advances in Mathematics of Communications
- Referee for the following conferences:
- IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (2007, 2008, 2010, 2012)
- IEEE Information Theory Workshop (2006)
- Turbo Codes Conference (2008)
- International Symposium on Information Theory and its Applications (2008)
- Applied Algebra, Algebraic Algorithms, and Error-Correcting Codes (AAECC-18) (2009)
- Twelfth IMA International Conference on Cryptography and Coding (2009)
- Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems (2010)
Communications Conference (MILCOM 2010)
- International Symposium on
Turbo Codes and Iterative Information Processing (2010)
- Invited academic guest to the Institute of Mathematics, University of Zurich, Switzerland, October 24 - November 24, 2011.
academic guest to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne
(EPFL), Switzerland, August 1 - September 30, 2011. Participated in the
"Combinatorial, Algebraic and Algorithmic Aspects of Coding Theory"
thematic program at the Centre Interfacultaire Bernoulli.
Other Notable Awards
- College of Arts and Sciences International Travel Award ($1350), UNL 2015.
- Research Development Fellow, UNL, 2010-2011.
- Mathematics Association of America Project NExT Fellow, 2008-2009.
- Fellowship, The Fields Institute, 2006.
for Applied Mathematics Graduate Fellowship, University of Notre
Dame, 2003-2004. Competitive award for students in math, science,
- Travel awards
- AWM travel grant ($1,850), 2008.
- ITW travel grant 2007.
- Two IMA travel grants 2007.
- ISIT travel grants 2004, 2006.
- Current committee chair (i.e. doctoral advisor) for Allison Beemer and Carolyn Mayer.
- Current committee member for:
- Jessalyn Bolkema (advisor: Judy Walker)
- Corbin Groothuis (advisors: Susan Hermiller and John Meakin)
- Brent McKain (advisor: Jamie Radcliffe)
- Charles Tomlinson (advisor: Jamie Radcliffe)
- Past committee member for:
- Sarah Behrens (graduated August 2015, advisor: Stephen Hartke)
- Lauren Keough (graduated May 2015, advisor: Jamie Radcliffe)
- James Carraher (graduated May 2014, advisor: Stephen Hartke)
- Kathyrn Haymaker (graduated May 2014, advisor: Christine Kelley)
- Elena Sherman (graduated December 2012, Department of Computer Science; advisor: Matt Dwyer)
- Katherine Morrison (graduated August 2012, advisor: Judy Walker)
- Tyler Seacrest (graduated May 2011, advisor: Stephen Hartke)
- Andrew Ray (graduated May 2011, advisor: Jamie Radcliffe)
- Deanna Dreher (graduated May 2010, advisor: Judy Walker)
Other Department Service
- Chair of Search Committee (2017-2018) for Professor of Practice search position.
- Co-chair of Nebraska Conference for Undergraduate Women in
Mathematics (NCUWM) since Summer 2012. Member of NCUWM Committee since 2008.
oversee all aspects of the conference including funding. The conference
hosts 270 undergraduate female math majors from around the country
along with invited plenary speakers and professional mathematicians. In
total, the event has around 350 participants.
- 2008-2012: In charge of talk and abstract review, abstract booklets, poster session, and brochure.
- First Year Task Force member, August 2015 -present.
committee is dedicated to analyzing and reforming the lower-level first
year mathematics courses, from College Algebra (Math 100A) to Calculus
II (Math 107).
- Member of the College of Arts and Sciences Committee on Student Academic Distinction, Awards and Appeals, August 2015 -present.
- Reviewer for 2015 UNL Outstanding Graduate Research Assistant award.
- Executive Committee Member, 2011-2013.
- Math Education Search Committee Member, 2012-2013.
- Algebra Search Committee Member, 2011-2012.
- Co-writer and grader for the graduate discrete math qualifying exam, June 2011, 2012.
- Undergraduate Advisory Committee Member, 2010-2011.
- Organizer for the weekly Discrete Mathematics Seminar, Fall 2009, 2010 and Spring 2010.
- Volunteer for Math Day, 2008-2010, 2012.
with the Sheldon Art Museum on the special exhibit "The Geometric
Unconscious" to teach 40 decents relevant mathematics for their tours for elementary school groups. Also designed a bookmark to accompany the exhibit. Docent training was in October 2012.
with Girl Scouts troop leader, Daneyelle Schneider, and graduate
student Haymaker to design coding and cryptography activities for a
Lincoln Girl Scouts troop. We facilitated the activities with the troop
in October 2012.
on Careers panel for a Girl Scout Troop in Lincoln, NE in December
- 2009-2010: Partnered with a Lincoln Public School (LPS) math coach and LPS teachers to design and facilitate lessons for local sixth grade math classes that incorporate coding and cryptography. Three lessons were piloted at Culler Middle School in October 2009 and April 2010. Culler is one of the lower economic level schools in Lincoln. (08/09 - 05/10)
speaker at Math Days for Women, University of South Dakota, "Fun in
Cryptography: a look at how to send and protect secret messages" (75
minute talk, interactive), September 24, 2009.
speaker at Math on the Northern Plains Conference for Undergraduates,
"Codes on graphs and the quest for good codes", (50 minutes),
Morningside College, Iowa, April 2010.
- Participated in Sage: Using Open-Source Mathematics Software with Undergraduates, an MAA Professional Enhancement Program (PREP) course, 16 contact hours, Summer 2010.
- Project NExT activities at Mathfest 2008 (August), Joint Mathematics Meeting 2009 (January), Mathfest 2009 (August).
- UNL Math Department Teaching Mentoring Program, since Fall 2008.
- Attended 2nd Annual Mini-Conference on Great Teaching, Ohio State University, April 2008.
Teaching Linear Algebra and Its Applications mini-course, and Getting
Undergraduate Students Involved in Research mini-course at the AMS
Joint Meetings, January 2006.
- Teaching Well Using Technology Certificate, University of Notre Dame, 2005 - 2006.
- Striving for Excellence in Teaching Certificate, University of Notre Dame, 2005 - 2006.
- Teaching Seminar, Mathematics Department, University of Notre Dame, Spring 2001, 2002.