Entering a Closed Math Class

The Department of Mathematics makes enough room in courses 100A, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 107, 200, 201, 203, 208, 221, 314, 180 and 380 to cover most requests through the eNRoll system. Raising limits if necessary, we will try to keep open sections of these courses during the period that starts the Thursday before classes and runs through the end of the Late Registration period (1st 6 days of classes). Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that open sections will match your requested time. Please check the Schedule of Classes, eNRoll, or the Registration Web site to rearrange your schedule to accommodate an open class when possible.

The Department of Mathematics is reluctant to approve override requests while there are still open sections at other times.

To request a Permission to Enter a Closed Math Course for a closed section of a Mathematics Course:

  1. For Mathematics 100A—Math 106, first satisfy the Mathematics Placement Policy for the course (see the Mathematics Section of the Schedule of Classes). The Department of Mathematics rejects override requests if the student has not satisfied the Math Placement Policy.
  2. Go to the Math Department office any weekday (open 8 a.m.–5 p.m.) from the first Monday of the semester through the end of the Late Registration period and fill out the "Request for Permission to Enter a Closed Math Course" form.
  3. Do not rely solely on the override request left with our department. Check eNRoll several times each day. You may find an acceptable section suddenly opens up. If so, grab it.
  4. Check daily the Permission Approved list outside the department offices on the 2nd floor of Avery Hall, during the Late Registration period. New names for the day are added by 9:00 a.m. If your name appears on the Permission Approved List, then a permit has been entered in your name with eNRoll so you can register for the approved section through eNRoll. You must register, before 5:00 p.m. on the last day of the Late Registration period, for the course, section and call number on the list.

The eNRoll system will not accept a permit to register for a section if you are already registered in another section of the same course. If you authorized us to drop you from a specific section, then we will if your request is approved. Otherwise, if we find you are registered for another section of the course, we will assume you are satisfied with your Math registration and do nothing.