Gary Hosler Meisters' Home Page
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0130, USA
FAX: (402) 472 8466
Research Interests (Click titles for a LaTeX.PDF file.)
- Polynomial maps of n-space (for n > 1) and The Jacobian Conjectures.
- DECEMBER 1995 BIG POLY-MAP NEWS! About Global Asymptotic Stability & Polynomial Maps.
- Markus-Yamabe Conjecture settled in all dimensions. (A 1-page TeX.pdf file.)
See also 29-page TeX.pdf file of June 96 Hong Kong Talk (below).
- Congratulations to Robert
Feßler, Carlos Gutierrez, Aleksei Glutsuk, N. Barabanov, Josep Bernat,
Jaume Llibre, Bo Deng, Gaetano Zampieri, Anna Cima, Arno van den Essen, Armengol Gasull,
Engelbert Hubbers, Francesc Mañosas and to many others whose names are in the PolyMapBib.
- TILFs (Translation Invariant Linear Forms).
- My publications Listed in LaTeX.pdf format.
- A "closed form" for zeta-of-3:
ζ(3) = -½ γ 3 -¼ γ π 2 -½ Γ '''(1).
(Similar formulas for ζ(5), ζ(7), etc.)
Also ζ(2n+1), for n > 0, as moments of log(πx) on the unit interval.
Here γ is lower-case Greek gamma, which denotes the Euler-Mascheroni constant,
defined as the limit (as N → infinity) of the difference (1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 +
+ 1/N) − Log(N).
So γ = 0.57721 56649 01532 86060 65120 90082 40243 10421 59335 93992
My 1975 detailed proofs are available upon request.
(If you receive no e-mail response, contact me at my home address.)
Milon Mackey inspired me to find these formulas when he was a student in my Honors Calculus at UNL.
- Polyomorphisms Conjugate to Dilations [Proceedings of the Conference on Polynomial Automorphisms,
Curaçao, The Netherlands Antilles, July 4, 1994; Arno van den Essen ed., Kluwer Academic Pub. 1995].
- Click here for the 19 page LaTeX.pdf version.
- Wanted: A Bad Matrix [Amer. Math. Monthly 102 June-July (1995) 546--550]. Unsolved Problem = JC.
Some papers presented at meetings:
- Arno van den Essen's Conference on Polynomial Automorphisms, CIRM, Luminy, France, Oct. 12, 1992.
- Marco Sabatini's Conference on Polynomial maps & Global Asymptotic Stability, Trento, Italy, Sept. 14, 1993.
- Hong Kong Conference on Algebra & Geometry in Complex Analysis, HK-University, June 10-14, 1996.
- A Short Biography of the Markus-Yamabe Conjecture.
- New Open questions. The Poincaré-Siegel Theory of Local Linearization.
- The Cima-Essen-Gasull-Hubbers-Mañosas Counterexample to the Markus-Yamabe Conjecture.
- Pinchuk's counterexample to the Strong Real Jacobian Conjecture.
- The Cubic-Linear Linearization Conjecture has been solved!
See papers by van den Essen , and
Gorni & Zampieri , in the PolyMapBib.
For a brief (2 page) self-contained statement of this conjecture&mdash
My Last Semester of Teaching at UNL
- Mathematical Analysis Spring 1997. (HTML format.)
- PolyMap Seminar Spring 1997. (NeXTstep Rich Text Format.)
The May 1997 Conference on the Occasion of my Retirement: http://www.math.unl.edu/Dept/Conferences/Meisters97/
Some Reading Interests
- PHYSICS: Elementary Particles and the Universe.
- LANDMARKS in Euclidean GEOMETRY: 500 BC-2000 AD. A postscript file (for now).
- MODERN GEOMETRY: Foundations, Bolyai-Gerwien Theorem, Knots, Hyberbolic Geometry, etc. An HTML file.
- Hilbert's 23 Problems: 1900 Paris-ICM. (OPENSTEP Edit.rtf now; HTML later).
- The Gauge-Riemann Integral: Kurzweil, Henstock, McShane, et al. (OPENSTEP Edit.rtf now; HTML later).
Some good books
- Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson, Vintage 1995.
- This is a novel about Japanese-Americans trying to live peacefully among
caucasian-Americans on a small island in northern Puget Sound; a murder trial;
suspense; and a beautiful story of young lovers.
- Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston & James D. Houston, Bantam 1974.
- The true story of a Japanese-American family's attempt to survive the indignities of forced detention;
told by their youngest American-born child who discovered what it was like to grow up behind barbed
wire in the United States.
- A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar, Simon & Shuster, 1998, ISBN 0684819066.
- This is a very well-written & documented biography of John Forbes Nash, Jr., who was awarded
the 1994 `Nobel Prize in Economics' for his 1949 Princeton Ph.D. thesis in which he proved what
has turned out to be an important equilibrium theorem in non-cooperative n-person game theory.
Ever since I met Mary Ellen, at age 15, she has been an avid knitter!
- Here's her Knitting Techniques in PDF; LaTeX-2e version, Feb 28, 2004.
- Save this version as a PDF-file such as KnitTech.pdf
More about KNITTING.
- Quantum Factoring
- Lewis Carroll
- Lauren's Alice Page
- Green Lion Press, Santa Fe
- ROAD MAPS
- Linear Algebra Done Right
- Harmonic Function Theory with a free Mathematica Package
- NeXTanswers, OPENSTEP, and Rhapsody too?
- The TWO EARS THEOREM and MORE!
- Marc Chamberland (Grinnell College, Iowa).
- Berlin ICM August 1998.
- Mathematical Reviews Search.
- American Mathematical Society
- Mathematical Association of America.
- The Louvre's WebMuseum, Paris.
- WashingTON MARAR in Brazil: A 1989 student of David Mond at Warwick, England: Singular Surfaces.
- Edward Nelson & Princeton University.
- Guido Weiss, Washington University, St. Louis: WAVELETS & Beautiful Fun!
- Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Especially Harbourne's Page.
- Guide to Philosophers.
- Integer Sequences.
- European Home Page.
- Mark Twain's Home Page (with other Mark Twain Links).
- City University of Hong Kong.
- Mathematics Department of the City University of Hong Kong.
- Stephen Smale.
- Smale's Crystals.
- The University of Hong Kong.
- Webster Dictionary.
- A comprehensive list of sites.
- Webcrawler Search.
- Google Search.
- Altavista Search.
- Advanced Book Exchange.
- Alibris Books.
- Amazon Books.
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last changed: 28 April 2004.